There is so much confusing information about how to eat right, lose weight, be more energetic, look younger, de-stress, and be healthier, that it can leave you more confused than when you started!. I’m here to tell you that it’s really not all that complicated if you follow my seven rules for success program and try to implement my 10 tips below into your plan. You don’t have to fill your cupboards with mungbeans and spend hours doing cardio or at the gym every day, however you need to develop a balanced lifestyle that works for you and to enjoy life everyday. Here are some simple suggestions to live a long and healthy life and look great at the same time. Good huh!
1. Eat Breakfast EVERY day The easiest way to kickstart your metabolism ready for the day is to eat a nutritious breakfast. This also provides your mind and body with the fuel it needs to ensure your energy levels don’t drop off half way through your day and leave you feeling tired and lethargic.
2. Use “Smart Substitution” when those cravings are “unbearable”! Try to eat a wide variety of fresh, nutritious, unprocessed foods whenever possible. If you are really craving something sweet, try half a banana in an SLM protein shake! Yummmm! If you eat out often, remember to read the menu carefully. There are ALWAYS healthier choices, most people just don’t choose theml! If you are really serious about your health, just remember no deep-fried anything and order your dressings and sauces on the side. A good choice when it comes to dessert is fresh fruit. You can always share it with your friend.
3. Drink more water Lets’s face it, without it we die and if we don’t drink enough our bodies just can’t get rid of all those nasty toxins that we consume on a daily basis. Most of us need to make sure we are drinking at least 6 - 8 glasses of water daily to stay well hydrated. Even more if you are physically active! To ensure you get off to a good start try the following:- • Have a glass of water first thing in the morning when you wake up and in the evening when you go to bed. You can put lemon juice in it to help with detoxification and purification. Tastes very refreshing too! • Keep a bottle of water on your desk or close by that you can just grab whenever you need a drink (and even when you don’t)
4. Perform regular resistance training! Physical exercise is an essential part of life if you want to remain energetic and mobile. Resistance training will help you in more ways than one! Not only does it build strength, boost energy levels and help reduce stress, but it helps our bodies to improve our bone density which has been proven to improve the chances of developing osteoporosis. It also helps to release toxins, burn calories and stay in shape. We need to make sure we MOVE for at LEAST 30 minutes everyday. Training with weights will increase your lean muscle tissue which in turn burns fat 24hrs a day even when you’re sleeping. The more lean muscle you have, the more fat you burn, it’s that simple!
5. Get enough ZZZzzz’s Sleep is critical if you want your body to repair and regenerate. Try to aim for at least 8 hours every day to ensure you are giving your body the best chance of remaining fit and healthy. Sleepness nights and combined with latenight snacking is one of the biggest contributors to excess weight gain.
6. Treat yourself Massage is excellent in improving skin tone, relieving you of stress and helping circulation. If you take time out at least once every month you’ll feel refreshed and recharged. If you can treat yourself once a week, even better! We all need a break and some time out so take a break every now and again and get some good quality rest and relaxation. It’s one of the best things you can do for your body and your mind.
7. Become a Savvy Shopper When it comes to food selection, there are some tips to remember:- • Basically, try to select foods that grow on trees, grow in the ground, or animal products that have “free range” as part of the packaging! • try and choose seasonal organic fruits and vegetables where possible, remember the richer the colour the better the nutritional value and usually the flavour! • try to select lean cuts of meat (no visable fat. Meats free from hormones and other additives are always a much better choice. • go for natural, wholesome foods rather than, highly refined or processed foods • Select whole grains like oats, wheat germ and most types of wholegrain breads and be sure to get some raw nuts and seeds to complete your list!
8. Clean up your kitchen Go through your entire kitchen and remove ANY tempting foods that may be lurking in the shadows waiting to add inches to your waistline! Don’t worry I did this too and remember buying all sorts of treats for when my guests came, however I usually ended up eating them myself, long before my guests did. Avoid the temptation of sabotaging yourself and only buy what you need. If you simply can’t go without, buy your treats when you NEED them and don’t take any leftovers home. The closest bin is always the best option once you’re satisfied!
9. Try to eat frequently Make sure you are eating something small and nutrition every 3-4 hours. This will help to keep your blood sugar stable and give you the best chance of maintaining a constant energy source throughout the day. I always use the size of my palm as a guide for how much I should be eating. Make sure you don’t add your whole hand! I try to aim for 1 portion of lean protein and 1 portion of fibrous carbohydrate (veges or salad) at EVERY meal.
10. Save starchy (energy) carbohydrates for after training The other golden rule I NEVER break, unless it is my scheduled “treat” day, is that I save my starchy “energy” carbohydrates for AFTER training (potatoes, rice, wholegrain pasta, oats etc). This is when my body’s metabolism is ramped up and helps motivate my body to utilise the food rather than store it on my hips. Remember starchy carbs are literally ENERGY foods. I love a big bowl of porridge straight after my morning walk. I also add my favourite protein powder to ensure I stick to rule number 9 above. (lean protein with every meal)
Believe in yourself, train hard, keep fit and LOVE life! Lindy xx
Comments will be approved before showing up.