Pumpkin Lasagna with Kale Pesto
- 1 tbsp
+ ½ tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 2 ⅓ cups
peeled, seeded and finely chopped pumpkin
- ½ tsp sea salt, divided
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tbsp organic unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp white wholemeal flour
- 1½ cups
low-salt chicken broth
- 5 cups
chopped kale, thick stems removed (about ½ bunch)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup
blanched unsalted almonds or walnuts
- ½ tsp ground black
- ¼ cup
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 175˚C. Mist a rimmed baking sheet and a baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick pan on medium and brush with ½ tsp oil. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, 2 minutes. Add pumpkin, ¼ tsp salt and nutmeg and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add orange juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until pumpkin is tender but still holds its shape, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan on medium, melt butter. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low until sauce thickens slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, cook kale until wilted, about 30 seconds. Drain. In a food processor, pulse garlic until finely chopped. Add almonds, pepper, kale and remaining 1 tbsp oil and ¼ tsp salt; process until a paste forms. Stir in 1 tbsp Parmesan. Set pesto aside.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta, egg and 2 tbsp Parmesan.
- Spread 3 tbsp sauce on bottom of baking dish and cover bottom with 4 lasagna sheets. Spread with half of ricotta, one-third of pesto then half of pumpkin mixture. Top with 4 lasagna sheets then with half of the remaining sauce. Repeat with remaining half of ricotta, half of remaining pesto and lasagna sheets, and spread remaining sauce on top. Add remaining pumpkin and dollop with remaining pesto. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp Parmesan. Cover loosely with foil and bake until cheese is melted and filling is bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Serving Size: ¼ of lasagna.
Calories: 568, carbs 55g, fats 32g, protein 23g
Originally published Clean Eating Magazine
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.